Amanda-Users

Re: About tape usage

2006-06-03 10:42:28
Subject: Re: About tape usage
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 10:35:36 -0400
On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 06:49:17AM -0700, Mario Lobo (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> First, thanks for the aswers and coments.
>
> Wonderful tip !!
>
> >Perhaps change your runtapes to "2" so no more than 2 tapes will be used
> >per amdump run.  Then the 3.8 GB will be retained on the holding disk and
> >IF you have autoflush set also, will be flushed to the begining of the
> >next virtual tape on the next amdump run.
>
> If I do it that way, shoul I set dumpcycle to 3? runspercycle to 3? how
> about tapecycle?

They are independent.

   autoflush    should leftover stuff on holding disk be taped automatically
   runtapes     max tapes used per amdump or amflush
   tapecycle    how many different tapes must be used before a tape is allowed
                to be reused (max value == number of tapes in rotation)
   dumpcycle    maximum interval between level 0's for individual DLEs
   runspercycle how many amdump runs in a dumpcycle

> I rotate 15 HDs through the backup cycle ...

Clarification please;  do you mean you have 15 external hard disks, each
matching the specs you listed yesterday, i.e. 400GB, 6x56GB virtual tapes?
(btw 6x56 = 330 - what about the other 70GB?)

That would be an awesome setup.  Do you rotate them to online status such
that only 6 vtapes are available at one time?  Why?  Never more than one
hard disk online at a time?  Why?

> ...  so I wrote 5 script utilities:

The formatting of your description was messed up in my mail reader and I
redid it.  If I scrambled the descriptions, my apologies.  Looks like I
may have deleted one description.

> hd_swtch: formats, tags and initializes the virtual tapes on the HD. It also
> saves the daily directory under the previous HD tag for any eventual restores.

You recreate the virtual tapes each time you rotate a hard disk in?
Same labels each time?  Why?

> hd_restore: prepares the system for a restore session with the HD just
> inserted, preserving the current HD daily folder

What is a HD daily folder?

> hd_return: returns the system to the state it was after a restore.

I suspect you mean "after a restore session started with hd_restore,
return the system to the state it was before the restore session".

> hd_status: Shows every thing. Current HD, date of its insertion,how many
> restores were done with it Virtual tapes and holding disk staus (dirung
> a dump also) How many times amanda ran dumps on each HD with start and
> finish date/time when each HD was ever inserted into the system

That will be a long list a couple of years from now :)

> The scrpts are in portuguese but if anyone is interested, I'll translate
> them and post theme here. They made my job really easier.

I'm using a vaguely similar arrangement -- ha ha -- two disks.
I elected to have each use its own distinct mount point whenever
it is online.  I also have a single directory with symbolic links
to the vtapes on those disks that are valid IF the disk is mounted.
The directory of simlinks is my "vtape changer".

It seems to me you could do something similar and reduce or eliminate
the need for the maintenance scripts.

Interesting setup, hope to hear more.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)