Amanda-Users

Re: About tape usage

2006-06-03 00:01:21
Subject: Re: About tape usage
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 23:54:36 -0400
On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:29:36PM -0700, Mario Lobo (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I have a 400 Gig HD divided into 6 56 Gig virtual tapes. A full dump of all
> 9 servers on our network, which runs perfectly, fills tape1 and tape2 and
> 3.8 Gigs of tape3. When the full dump is finished, the changer switches to
> tape4 automaticaly for the next dump (incremental).
>
> My question is: Is it possible for amanda not to switch to tape4 and,
> instead, use the remainder of tape3, without erasing the 3.8 gig that's
> already there ?

Ram already gave the stock "no" answer.  Just a couple of other comments.

Perhaps change your runtapes to "2" so no more than 2 tapes will be used
per amdump run.  Then the 3.8 GB will be retained on the holding disk and
IF you have autoflush set also, will be flushed to the begining of the
next virtual tape on the next amdump run.

A "taperwait" patch was published on the amanda lists about 6-9 months
ago.  IIRC It would not go to the next tape unless there were at least
enough dumps on holding disk to fill "X"% of the tape.  I don't know
the status of that patch with 2.5.0.

JLM indicated he might work on an alternate to taperwait which was more
flexible, but was uncertain when he would get to it.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)