Amanda-Users

Re: Partial full backup configuration for amanda

2006-05-31 06:30:16
Subject: Re: Partial full backup configuration for amanda
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: silpa kala <silpakala AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:15:45 +0200
On 2006-05-31 10:50, silpa kala wrote:
Hi,
I need some clarification on the usage of the amanda.
What parameters need to be congfigured for the
"partial full" backup i.e.,the full backup is divided
into according to the dumpcycle and runspercycle. We
configured dumpcycle 10 days
    runspercycle 10
Suppose this is the case, the full backup is divided
into 10 parts. That means per day 1/10 of data is to
be backed up. But, Instead of Partial full backup
,full backup is happening.

Not exactly 1/10 of the data, but some number for disklist
entries with total amount as close to 1/10 of the data
as possible.
If you got only 1 entry in your disklist, then there is
nothing to divide or spread.

Also the first time, Amanda tries to dump as much as
will fit on a tape.  It's only during the next runs, that
Amanda can schedule incrementals (lvl > 0) instead of
a full dumps.  You will have to wait at least 1 cycle
before you notice the spread of level 0 over the cycle.

Please help me out in this. What parameters need to be
configured in amanda.conf file to perform "partial
full" backup.

I still believe your notion of "partial full" is different
than that of Amanda.

If u provide the example with minimum configurations
or amanda.conf then that will be helpful.

Example configurations are on the wiki:
A minimal one:
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Test_environment_with_virtual_tapes

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *