Amanda-Users

Data Timeout

2006-05-30 04:41:38
Subject: Data Timeout
From: "Paul Duncan" <Paul.Duncan AT yolus DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:30:59 +0100
Hello,

One of our filesystems is failing to get backed up and I am interested in trying to ascertain why.  The report entry is:

compaqdev2 /export/home lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]

In the amdump file I see the following suspicious entries.  I get a series of "driver-idle: no-diskspace" entries which span 3 hours:

driver: state time 1737.214 free kps: 254081 space: 2164824 taper: idle idle-dumpers: 1 qlen tapeq: 0 runq: 26 roomq: 0 wakeup: 15 driver-idle: no-diskspace

driver: state time 12480.205 free kps: 286720 space: 15482922 taper: writing idle-dumpers: 5 qlen tapeq: 6 runq: 2 roomq: 0 wakeup: 86400 driver-idle: no-diskspace

Then the filesystem dump fails over an hour later:

driver: result time 17127.984 from dumper0: FAILED 01-00054 [data timeout]

I suspect that the holding_disk may be running out of space and indeed amplot confirms this.  Does the "no-diskspace" refer to the holding_disk?

Why does the data timeout occur over an hour after disk space becomes available?  The dtimeout parameter in amanda.conf is set to 1800.

I am using server side fast compression for this filesystem.  Assuming that the holding_disk space is to blame, what options do I have to resolve this problem other than increasing the size of the holding_disk?

The amdump file is hard to interpret.  Is there any documentation describing its layout?

Thanks for your help.

Yours,

Paul Duncan
Yolus Ltd.

  This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. Yolus Limited shall not be responsible for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. Yolus Limited does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.