Amanda-Users

Re: PATH when using a wrapper

2006-05-29 11:58:55
Subject: Re: PATH when using a wrapper
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:52:28 -0400
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 02:18:58PM +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been struggling with setting up a wrapper (inspired by
> http://www.amanda.org/docs/howto-wrapper.html) to stop a Zope web site
> before dumping it.
>
> Restarting would always cause a problem. I tracked it down to what I
> think is the reason.
>
> When Amanda calll GNU tar or the wrapper script, the PATH is set to be
> empty. Am I right? This is mentionned nowhere in the howto page and
> that seems to be solved when I force a PATH in my script.

Often, for security purposes and to ensure the needed bin dirs are
searched, the PATH gets set to just what is needed.  If your wrapper
needs additional dirs in PATH, it is quite reasonable for an early
line of the script to set and export PATH to what is needed.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)