Amanda-Users

Re: Intermittent client failures reading /var/backups/.amandahosts

2006-05-29 11:04:48
Subject: Re: Intermittent client failures reading /var/backups/.amandahosts
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: Paul Haldane <Paul.Haldane AT newcastle.ac DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 10:56:10 -0400
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 01:26:08PM +0100, Paul Haldane wrote:
> As the error reported is a failure to open .amandahosts rather than a problem
> with the contents of the file (which would result in a "amandahostsauth
> failed" error) a likely cause (given that the problem is intermittent) is
> running out of system resources (file descriptors/memory/?).

Ahhh, this is much more likely the cause.  These servers are very busy
and generally do not get much of a break.

> You should find more information about the exact cause of the failure in the
> amanda debug file on the client - that should show the same error along with
> the system error message.

Dang - Debian woody puts those logs in /tmp/amanda, which gets cleaned
automatically.  Is there any way I can change the log directory on the
client programs at runtime?

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us