Amanda-Users

Re: Cannot restore XFS partitions with Amanda 2.4.5

2006-05-24 10:03:00
Subject: Re: Cannot restore XFS partitions with Amanda 2.4.5
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: James Lamanna <jlamanna AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:54:59 -0400
* James Lamanna <jlamanna AT gmail DOT com> [20060523 11:02]:
> On 5/23/06, Jean-Francois Malouin
> <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca> wrote:
> >* James Lamanna <jlamanna AT gmail DOT com> [20060522 21:52]:
> >> Hi.
> >> I have a couple of XFS + TAR partitions that I'm backing up onto tape.
> >> There are no errors thrown when backing up, however whenever I try to
> >> amrestore one of the XFS partition dump files I get the following:
> >>
> >> # amrestore /dev/nst0
> >> amrestore:   1: restoring fs0.fs0-users.20060522.0
> >> amrestore: read error: Input/output error
> >> gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> >>
> >> now if I skip that partition (with mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 1), I can
> >> amrestore the TAR paritions fine (until I get to the other XFS
> >> partition).
> >>
> >> This is with Amanda 2.4.5.
> >> dumptype is
> >> compress client best
> >>
> >> Any ideas what might be happening here?
> >
> >Do the basic tests with the basic tools, dd, mt and xfsrestore:
> >position the tape head, and see what xfsrestore tells you.
> >
> >mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf xxx
> >dd if=/dev/nst0 count=1 bs=32k
> >
> >and if at the right place, reposition the tape head and do a
> >interactive xfsrestore (I don't how you compressed so just squeeze a
> >gzip pipe in between dd and xfsrestore below, the command should be
> >given by the dd step above):
> >
> >mt -f /dev/nst0 status
> >mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf xxx
> >dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k skip=1 | xfsrestore -i - .
> >
> >If xfsrestore is happy, try to list the archive content and see if you
> >can restore some files/dirs.
> >
> >The debug output from your amrestore attempt should give you a clue as
> >to what's going wrong.
> >

> Using dd gives the same input/output errors.
> xfsrestore compains of a premature EOF (since dd/amrestore aren't
> reading the whole backup for some reason).
> Unfortunately nothing is in dmesg or any other log file as to why I
> get input/output errors _only_ on the XFS parition dump files.

Then you will have to go back and have a look at the amanda debug
files on the client and try to figure out what's going on. Without
this info there is little one can do to help you at this point.

amgetconf <conf> build.AMANDA_DBGDIR
will tell you where amanda stuff her debug files.

hth,
jf

--
<° ><