Amanda-Users

Re: Dealing with incompressible data

2006-05-18 10:10:29
Subject: Re: Dealing with incompressible data
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs AT math.uh DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:06:04 -0500

JL> I don't think an automatic tool is needed.  The compressibility of
JL> a DLE doesn't change often.

It does for me.  All it takes is for a user to decide to gzip a few
data sets.  Compression can swing from 10:1 to inflation in one
night.  And back again as those data sets are migrated offline.

JL> However a tool to check and recommend might be useful.  And it
JL> could be entended to take action automatically if desired.

Seems reasonable as a first pass.  I think it would be reasonable to
have an "adaptive" compression type that was built into the system,
but I wouldn't know where to start adding it.  However, I can cook up
a Perl script to process my disklist.

 - J<