Amanda-Users

Dealing with incompressible data

2006-05-17 10:25:50
Subject: Dealing with incompressible data
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs AT math.uh DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:20:58 -0500
Has anyone given thought to automatically disabling compression on
filesystems where compression performs poorly?  I have a large number
of filesystems to back up and my "compression ratio" should be an
"expansion ratio".  There are some filesystems where it helps quite a
bit, however.  Rather than turning it off globally I could disable it
on selected filesystems, but going through the whole list is time
consuming.

Is it possible for amanda to consult the backup history and check the
past compression performance when deciding whether or not to enable
compression on a particular filesystem?

Note: I'm willing to hack at this if someone can give me some
pointers.

 - J<