Amanda-Users

windows vshadow

2006-05-16 10:10:42
Subject: windows vshadow
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:05:22 -0400
Has anyone used a utility from M$ called "vshadow"?

It is a ".exe" that comes in a free SDK called VSS.

As far as I can tell it seems to be an attempt to
do the equivalent of snapshots so that backups
can be done to otherwise uncopyable files.

Sound like a familiar problem?

If I understand it correctly, it is a bit wierd in
that the snapshot only exists while vshadow program
is running.  So you have to provide it with a script
to execute on the snapshot, when that ends, so does
the snapshot.

I stumbled across a blog entry that provided a script
using vshadow to enable the copying of a single file.
Thus far it has not worked for me.

Hopefully I type the URL correctly.

  http://blogs.msdn.com/adioltean/archive/2005/01/05/346793.aspx

The vshadow.exe is only available for WinXP and 2003 server.
So it is not a general solution, but maybe a start?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)