Amanda-Users

Re: Library not recognized

2006-05-08 19:27:44
Subject: Re: Library not recognized
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 18:19:40 -0400
On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 03:48:37PM -0400, Darren Slocum wrote:
> Hello all;
>
> I'm trying to get My Dear Amanda on RH9 to work with an STK L20.  There
> are no linux drivers for this product, and the OS is only recognizing it
> as an scsi-generic, which I tend to think is the problem.

I don't recall there being any need for any drivers specific to various
tape drives or tape libraries.  But I've been wrong before.

> I have tried adding the appropriate devices as per the mt man page....
>
>               mknod -m 666 /dev/st0 c 9 0
>               mknod -m 666 /dev/st0l c 9 32
>               mknod -m 666 /dev/st0m c 9 64
>               mknod -m 666 /dev/st0a c 9 96
>               mknod -m 666 /dev/nst0 c 9 128
>               mknod -m 666 /dev/nst0l c 9 160
>               mknod -m 666 /dev/nst0m c 9 192
>               mknod -m 666 /dev/nst0a c 9 224

I don't have the RH9 manpage, bit I see no mention of manually
creating those (any) devices on the mt manpages of recent suse
or fedora distros.

> ..... all of which returned a "no such device" when I attempted an mt
> ..... rewind on them.

Is there anything in your dmesg output or the ?/var/log?/message* files
indicating the system saw the library and/or tapedrive.

> The end result of attempting an "chg-zd-mtx -slot 1" is.... "MOVE MEDIUM
> from Element Address 500 to 1017 Failed".  I had to run chg-zd-mtx as
> root as the perms on /dev/sg* being root:disk 660 was not sufficient and
> I was still getting permission denied, so there is probably a further
> problem somewhere in here too.
>
> Following is the complete log output from /tmp/amanda....Any ideas
> anyone??????

My first suggestion is stop using amanda.  At least amanda tools.
You first need to get mt, mtx, dd, and tar able to work on their
own with your library and tapedrive.  Adding amanda to the mix is
just adding unnecessary additonal complexity and point of error.

> Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage Element 18...mtx: Request
> Sense: Long Report=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)

Should also find out what that error code is,
maybe just the following:

> mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request

but you should check the docs to be sure.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)