Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie needs Help

2006-05-04 10:29:16
Subject: Re: Newbie needs Help
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 10:26:39 -0400
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 03:52:07PM +0200, Luis Rodrigues wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've just started a job at a new company. They have an backup system with
> everyday copies the touched files
> to a disk on a backup server and on the weekend it makes a 0 level to tape.
>
> They say the system is not really relayable because some times they don't
> find the files an want a new one.
>
> So I will install amanda.
>
> The problem is that they want to keep the old backup touched files each day
> and zero level on the weekend.
> In  http://www.amanda.org/docs/topten.html#id2552255 says this is not
> possible.
>
> So I will use amanda with a weekly cycle so that at saturday everyting is
> backuedup.
>
> But I still need to incremental backup the touched files since last
> inscremental, is it possible to force amanda to
> (in its runs during week) first copy to backup server the touched files and
> them some others?

You can nearly mimic what they have been doing.  Not necessarily my
recommendation, but sometimes "ya gotta do what da boss sais ya gotta do".

Think of their current backup disk as amanda's "holding disk".
Set up your amanda config to 'autoflush" the holding disk whenever
it actually does tape.
Set up your config to not do level 0's except when forced with amadmin.
I forget if this is "skip-full" or "incr-only".
Set up amanda to use a symbolic link to the tape device, eg. /dev/amandatape.
This will be missing normally, so incremental backups will collect on the
holding disk, waiting to autoflush.
Set up your daily cron job to "rm amandatape" then amdump.
Set up your weekend cronjob to amadmin force level 0's, create the symbolic
tape device link, then do amdump, the rm amandatape.
The entire week will go to tape.

> If so what will happen if a file is changed two times in one week?

You will have a copy of each version.
During the week you can still use amrecover to get at the
incrementals collecting on the holding disk.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)