Amanda-Users

Re: 2.4.2p2 client, 2.4.4p3 server: timeout from amandad...

2006-05-03 09:58:26
Subject: Re: 2.4.2p2 client, 2.4.4p3 server: timeout from amandad...
From: Francis Galiegue <fg AT one2team DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 15:53:21 +0200
Le Mercredi 03 Mai 2006 14:48, vous avez écrit :
> On 2006-05-03 13:26, Francis Galiegue wrote:

> You could run tcpdump or ethereal on the server and client and verify
> if indeed the packet is arriving there and with the correct IP-number
> (considering the aliases for eth0 can have messed that up).

Well, if it did, I wouldn't have been able to do "small" backups either, would
I?

> Is there a firewall inbetween, or on one/both of the servers?
> You may need to increase the UDP-reply timeout on the firewall (or
> disable the firewall).  I believe many firewalls timeout UDP packets
> after 180 seconds.

There's a firewall on both. On the client machine, UDP/10080 is let in from
the server machine only. On the server machine, UDP/10082 and 10083 are let
in from the client only. As to the timeout, I don't see this as a problem
since I have an iptables rules that catches "INVALID" packets (as per
conntrack definition) and it captures nothing at all...

> There are other possibilities, solutions. See:
>
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amdump:_results_missing
>
> in amanda 2.4.2p2 the "calcsize" was not yet implemented (it did
> exist, but was experimental, I believe).
> if the server is 2.4.4xx then you can use "estimate server", even
> if the client is old.
>

>From what I've read on the zmanda wiki, estimate server uses data from the
previous runs. But there's no previous run...

BTW I've tried the nc stuff on the wiki page as well: it's definitely not a
firewall problem.

--
Francis Galiegue, fg AT one2team DOT com
One2team - 12bis rue de la Pierre Levée, 75011 PARIS - 0143381980