Amanda-Users

Re: dump larger than available tape space

2006-04-19 03:49:40
Subject: Re: dump larger than available tape space
From: David Leangen <amanda AT leangen DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:42:48 +0900
Thank you to all who replied.

For the benefit of those who google this thread in 10 year's time (or
whatever the search engine of the day is by then), just so you're not
left dangling, here's the solution:

The problem was not really related to the change of version of Amanda.
It just so happens that by coincidence, at the same time I upgraded, the
size of my archive went over the limit of my tape size.

I finally only understood what the problem was when I noticed some log
files I had never noticed before laying around in directory:

  /usr/adm/amanda/conf

I assume this is the index directoy, but I'll leave you the pleasure of
checking.

There are TWO parameters that must be set so that the archive spans
multiple virtual tapes.

First, in amanda.conf, runtapes must be set to an appropriate value > 1.

Next, the parameter tape_splitsize must be set in the dumptype
configuration in amanda.conf. As suggested in the docs, the value should
be set to something reasonable such as 1/10th of the virtual tape size.

Thanks again to the Amanda community!!