Amanda-Users

Re: Optimising settings

2006-04-15 14:00:51
Subject: Re: Optimising settings
From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson AT tiscali.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 18:57:37 +0100

On Saturday 15 April 2006 18:15, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> Maybe these from the amanda.conf manpage?

> tape_splitsize int

> Default: none. Split dump file on tape into pieces of a

> specified size. This allows dumps to be spread across

> multiple tapes, and can potentially make more efficient

> use of tape space. Note that if this value is too large

> (more than half the size of the average dump being

> split), substantial tape space can be wasted. If too

> small, large dumps will be split into innumerable tiny

> dumpfiles, adding to restoration complexity. A good

> rule of thumb, usually, is 1/10 of the size of your

> tape.

> split_diskbuffer string

> Default: none. When dumping a split dump in PORT-WRITE

> mode (usually meaning "no holding disk"), buffer the

> split chunks to a file in the directory specified by

> this option.

> fallback_splitsize int

> Default: 10M. When dumping a split dump in PORT-WRITE

> mode, if no split_diskbuffer is specified (or if we

> somehow fail to use our split_diskbuffer), we must

> buffer split chunks in memory. This specifies the

> maximum size split chunks can be in this scenario, and

> thus the maximum amount of memory consumed for

> in-memory splitting. The size of this buffer can be

> changed from its (very conservative) default to a value

> reflecting the amount of memory that each taper process

> on the dump server may reasonably consume.

I think it must be the last one. All these were commented out, so probably the fallback setting was being used. Earlier today I uncommented it and set it to 64m. The backup that has just finished has some files of 1.1GB. I'm not entirely sure that I understand why it has made that amount of difference, but I think it is the only thing I've changed today.

Anne