Amanda-Users

Re: Dump aborted

2006-04-09 10:36:54
Subject: Re: Dump aborted
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 10:30:53 -0400
On Sunday 09 April 2006 04:58, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Sunday 09 April 2006 00:02, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Dump, since it works at the level of the inode structure of the
>> filesystem, can hand handle full filesystems only.  It has no
>> concept of a subdir as its just another inode to dump.  This is also
>> why dump is specific to the filesystem, meaning you can't use dump
>> ofr ext2 against a reiserfs or dos partition type.
>>
>> If they fit, this is nice & possibly faster.  But if they don't fit,
>> tar is a much better way to do it.
>
>That's fine.  Thanks for the explanation.
>
>> One thing that seems to bite new users is the exclude files
>> formating when using tar.
>>
>> Since tar traverses the directory structure, a file to be excluded
>> must be specified in ./name format, which will exclude 'name' and if
>> 'name' is a subdir, all files up that branch will be excluded too.
>>
>> This is true regardless of whether you are just nameing a single
>> file to exclude, or in a file specified as full path to file which
>> may contain a list of names, in which case those names in that file
>> need to be in that same ./name format.
>
>In my /home definition I have the line
>
>"/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/.exclude"
>
>and the file '.exclude' has absolute paths to the subdirectories that
> contain photos and video, e.g. /home/anne/recordings.  It seems to
> work.  If it didn't I wouldn't be able to run that at all, as it
> would be far too big.  I guess that since that DLE is actually
> starting from /home I could have shortened the path but only by one
> level.  Right?

In this case, a simple ./recordings in the exclude file would serve as
well I believe.  The path _to_ the exclude file is absolute, the stuff
in the exclude file is relative, so the ./ anchors it to the current
directory.  If it is denied access to the recordings dir, then all that
is skipped.  The whole tree beyond that point is excluded if the
dumptype calls in this exclude file.  And there is of course nothing to
preclude specifiying a newly named dumptype which uses a common
dumptype that doesn't have an excludes file in its spec, and have this
newly made dumptype use that dumptype and then use *this* exclude file,
with a different file and a different list of excludes for each time
you've made the new dumptype.

Now, one can then build (using tar of course) disklist entries that
break up the recordings dir into suitably sized pieces as regex
expressions can also be used although I'm not a regex expert.  If that
dle doesn't use that exclude file, then tar will descend into those
dirs and back them up, one dle at a time.  This gives amanda the
ability to shuffle the schedule so that recordings/music gets backed up
one night, then recordings/pix gets it the next night, etc etc.

>Anne

message by Gene Heskett are: