Amanda-Users

Re: Dump aborted

2006-04-08 20:07:48
Subject: Re: Dump aborted
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:02:06 -0400
On Saturday 08 April 2006 15:22, Anne Wilson wrote:
> [...]
>Original Size (meg)      1259.5     1234.5       25.0
>Avg Compressed Size (%)    91.8       93.3       19.4   (level:#disks
> ...) Filesystems Dumped            2          1          1   (3:1)
> Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      3979.8     5400.7       62.8
>
>Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:01       0:01       0:00
>Tape Size (meg)          1156.7     1151.8        4.9
>Tape Used (%)              29.0       28.8        0.2   (level:#disks
> ...) Filesystems Taped             2          1          1   (3:1)
> (level:#chunks ...)
>Chunks Taped                  2          1          1   (3:1)
>Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s) 16520.9    16478.2    42218.5
>
>USAGE BY TAPE:
>  Label           Time      Size      %    Nb    Nc
>  Dailys-16       0:01     1157M   29.0     2     2
>
>FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>
>/--  borg /home/anne/Photos lev 0 FAILED [/sbin/dump returned 1]
>sendbackup: start [borg:/home/anne/Photos level 0]
>sendbackup: info BACKUP=/sbin/dump
>sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/sbin/restore -f... -
>sendbackup: info end
>
>|   DUMP: You can't update the dumpdates file when dumping a
>| subdirectory DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
>
>sendbackup: error [/sbin/dump returned 1]
>\--------
>
>/--  borg /home/anne/Photos lev 0 FAILED [/sbin/dump returned 1]
>sendbackup: start [borg:/home/anne/Photos level 0]
>sendbackup: info BACKUP=/sbin/dump
>sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/sbin/restore -f... -
>sendbackup: info end
>
>|   DUMP: You can't update the dumpdates file when dumping a
>| subdirectory DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
>
>sendbackup: error [/sbin/dump returned 1]
>\--------
>
>NOTES:
>  planner: Adding new disk borg:/home/anne/Photos.
>  planner: Incremental of borg:/home bumped to level 3.
>  planner: Full dump of borg:/Public promoted from 4 days ahead.
>  taper: tape Dailys-16 kb 1184416 fm 2 [OK]
>
>DUMP SUMMARY:
>                                                      DUMPER STATS
>TAPER STATS
>HOSTNAME DISK                              L ORIG-MB OUT-MB COMP%
> MMM:SS KB/s MMM:SS    KB/s
> --------------------------------- -------------
>borg    /Public                           0   1235   1152  93.3   3:3
> 5400.7 1:1 16478.0
>borg    /home                             3     25      5  19.6   1:1
>   62.8 0:0 41908.6
>borg    /home/anne/Photos                 0 FAILED
>
>(brought to you by Amanda version 2.5.0-20060323)
>********************
>
>What does it mean by
>
>|   DUMP: You can't update the dumpdates file when dumping a
>| subdirectory
>
>?
>
>I believe Gene said something earlier about dump not being able to
> handle subdirectories.  I didn't use tar on the photo directory
> because they are already compressed, but does this mean that I need

Dump, since it works at the level of the inode structure of the
filesystem, can hand handle full filesystems only.  It has no concept
of a subdir as its just another inode to dump.  This is also why dump
is specific to the filesystem, meaning you can't use dump ofr ext2
against a reiserfs or dos partition type.

If they fit, this is nice & possibly faster.  But if they don't fit, tar
is a much better way to do it.

>Is there anything else in here that I should be worrying about?
>
>Anne

One thing that seems to bite new users is the exclude files formating
when using tar.

Since tar traverses the directory structure, a file to be excluded must
be specified in ./name format, which will exclude 'name' and if 'name'
is a subdir, all files up that branch will be excluded too.

This is true regardless of whether you are just nameing a single file to
exclude, or in a file specified as full path to file which may contain
a list of names, in which case those names in that file need to be in
that same ./name format.

message by Gene Heskett are: