Amanda-Users

Re: gnu tar-1.15+ for RHEL4

2006-04-07 14:54:56
Subject: Re: gnu tar-1.15+ for RHEL4
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:51:11 -0400
On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 01:17:20PM -0400, Jay Fenlason enlightened us:
> > i am installaing amanda on a RHEL4 workstation.  when using
> > amanda-backup_client-2.5.0-1.rhel4.i386.rpm from the zmanda site,
> > it fails with:
> >
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> >         tar >= 1.15 is needed by amanda-backup_client-2.5.0-1.rhel4.i386
> >
> > yet when i have searched for a tar >= 1.15 rpm i have only found rpms
> > for RHEL4 going up through tar-1.14-9.RHEL4.src.rpm (this on rpmfind).
> > >= 1.15 rpms are only available for SuSE, Mandriva, Fedora and Mandrake.
> >
> > is it possible to use an rpm from one of these other distros?  what do
> > other folks do about this?
>
> You could always grab the tar .src.rpm from Rawhide or Fedora Core 5
> and rebuild it on your RHEL-4 box.  Or you could grab the amanda
> .src.rpm, rewrite the tar dependency, and rebuild it.  That's probably
> what I would do.
>
> It sounds to me like a packaging error that the rpm doesn't work with
> a version of tar that comes with the OS and is known to have been
> patched to work with Amanda.  But what do I know about packaging? :-)

Maybe if *someone* would finish packaging 2.5.0 for FC, my instructions at
http://www.math.ohiou.edu/~hyclak/casit/amanda/ would be applicable.

For the zmanda packagers: The RHEL4 packages really shouldn't require
tar >= 1.15. RHEL 4 will always have tar 1.14 with backported patches.
Perhaps not the best idea, but that's their policy, so we have to live with
it.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak