Amanda-Users

Re: bandwidth limits

2006-03-29 20:32:38
Subject: Re: bandwidth limits
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:27:55 -0500
On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 05:46:16PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 03:37:22PM -0500, stan wrote:
> >
> > I'm still struggling with bandwidth limits on a new installation. I cna't
> > seem to get they new server to come anywhere close to using the bandwidth
> > I've told it to use, and amstatus still says it has spare dumpers because
> > it's bandwidth limited.
> >
> > Is there some good documentation as to how this feature works? Is there a
> > maximum number that I can put in the config files for this (C data type size
> > limit?)?
>

> You are talking about the "netusage" parameter in amanda.conf correct?
>
> Since I'm on shakey ground with my understanding of that parameter,
> lets make sure you and I have a correct notion of what it affects.
> I'm sure someone will correct any errors I make.
>
> <uncertainty factor>
> It has no effect on the bandwidth used by a dump or connection.
> I.e. it is not a throttle or accelerator.  It has to do with whether
> the dump of a DLE gets started or not.  Once it is started the dump
> will use any and all the bandwidth it can get.
>
> When amdump has a free dumper I think it checks the current total
> net usage, not just amanda's.  Then if the usage is below the netusage
> value, the dumper is assigned a task.  Otherwise the dumper sits idle
> and amdump checks again later.
> </uncertainty factor>

That is almost exactly how I understood this. The only discrepency that I
am aware of is that _total_ network usage is checked, as oposed to just
Amanda's usage. BTW in a multi=homed environment, can I assume it at least
checks only the correct networls traffic?

> <certainty factor>
> Its a beautiful day here
> </certainty factor>

Here also.

BTW, It seems to be working now. I tweaked many things last night, so
either I got teh setting correct, or it's working because of the hhistory
of last nights run.

Herre is what I wound up with:

netusage  200000 Kbps   # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec

define interface local {
    comment "a local disk"
    # use 1000 kbps
}

define interface lan0 {
    comment "100 Mbps ethernet"
    use 200000 kbps
}

-------

# # teddy
teddy / comp-user-tar 1 lan0

# # smokey
smokey / comp-user-tar 1 lan0

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror