Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda interoperability of different amanda versions

2006-03-23 11:48:24
Subject: Re: Amanda interoperability of different amanda versions
From: "Paddy Sreenivasan" <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT nu" <uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT nu>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:43:04 -0800
On 3/23/06, uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT nu <uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT
nu> wrote:
> Hello Listers,
>
> At the moment I am running two machines: a SuSE 9.1 (samba) server with the
> (SuSE) amanda-2.4.4p2-49 (client) rpm-package and an amanda backupserver
> with the same versions.
>
> I would like to know if I will face some interoperability problems when I
> upgrade my dedicated amanda server to SuSE 10 and the SuSE 10 amanda2.5.0b2
> (or 2.5.0final) rpm from www.zmanda.com/? I am not happy to upgrade in
> parallel my samba server (never change a running system:).

Compatability between 2.4.5 amanda client and 2.5.0b2 server has been
tested. I'm
not sure if 2.4.4p2 is same as 2.4.5. If you use rpms from www.zmanda.com, you
should take a look at the documentation in the wiki.
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda_RPMs_from_Zmanda_downloads_page

> I would like to use vtapes and some new features of the 2.5...
>
> I suppose, that - if I would like to have a SuSE 9.1 related rpm of the new
> amanda 2.5 version for the samba server - I will have to build it by myself.
> And I am now sure if I will be experienced enough to do that.

You can use SLES9 rpms available in www.zmanda.com.  You should use
amanda spec file from the source rpm from www.zmanda.com or use the
same configure parameters as the rpm spec file to build amanda for
other platforms.

Paddy

--

Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com