Amanda-Users

Re: Installation Configuration: disk definitions & general questions

2006-03-16 11:53:58
Subject: Re: Installation Configuration: disk definitions & general questions
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:50:26 -0500
On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 04:41:04PM +0000, Peter Farrell enlightened us:
> Thanks you gentlemen all - for your comments and advice.
> The advice to RTFM is understood and well taken.
> The clarification as to the prepending of my exclude list especially...
>
> My hosts are set up and the backups ran smoothly - all reports minus
> "AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR BogusMonth 0, 0" ran fine. The 'bogus-month'
> one doesn't seem to be able to see it's log file...
>
> Anyway.
> Went away to my client-hosts and was trying to run:
> # amrecover misc_backups
> and have errors from both hosts... (but it runs as one would expect it
> to from the master-host (VEGA)
> [root@vega tmp]# /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amrecover misc_backups
> AMRECOVER Version 2.4.5p1. Contacting server on vega.scarceskills.com ...
> 220 vega AMANDA index server (2.4.5p1) ready.
> 200 Access OK
> Setting restore date to today (2006-03-16)
> 200 Working date set to 2006-03-16.
> Scanning /home/data/amanda/dumps...
> 200 Config set to misc_backups.
> 200 Dump host set to vega.scarceskills.com.
> Trying disk /tmp ...
> $CWD '/tmp' is on disk '/tmp' mounted at '/tmp'.
> 200 Disk set to /tmp.
> /tmp
> amrecover>
> [root@sabik etc]# /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amrecover misc_backups
> AMRECOVER Version 2.4.5p1. Contacting server on sabik.scarceskills.com ...
> amrecover: cannot connect to sabik.scarceskills.com: Connection refused
> --------------
> [root@SSPC20 /]# /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amrecover misc_backups
> AMRECOVER Version 2.4.5p1. Contacting server on SSPC20.scarceskills.com ...
> amrecover: cannot connect to SSPC20.scarceskills.com: Success

The clients are trying to contact themselves for the index service. I
suspect that means you are using distro-provided RPMs and they have
localhost compiled as the index server.

Try

amrecover -s your.tape.server misc_backups

If you find it annoying, rebuild amanda on the clients. If you're using an
RPM-based distro, see http://www.math.ohiou.edu/~hyclak/casit/amanda/ for
some hints.

Matt

--