Amanda-Users

Re: Installation Configuration: disk definitions & general questions

2006-03-16 11:45:36
Subject: Re: Installation Configuration: disk definitions & general questions
From: "Peter Farrell" <peter.d.farrell AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:41:04 +0000
Thanks you gentlemen all - for your comments and advice.
The advice to RTFM is understood and well taken.
The clarification as to the prepending of my exclude list especially...

My hosts are set up and the backups ran smoothly - all reports minus
"AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR BogusMonth 0, 0" ran fine. The 'bogus-month'
one doesn't seem to be able to see it's log file...

Anyway.
Went away to my client-hosts and was trying to run:
# amrecover misc_backups
and have errors from both hosts... (but it runs as one would expect it
to from the master-host (VEGA)
[root@vega tmp]# /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amrecover misc_backups
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.5p1. Contacting server on vega.scarceskills.com ...
220 vega AMANDA index server (2.4.5p1) ready.
200 Access OK
Setting restore date to today (2006-03-16)
200 Working date set to 2006-03-16.
Scanning /home/data/amanda/dumps...
200 Config set to misc_backups.
200 Dump host set to vega.scarceskills.com.
Trying disk /tmp ...
$CWD '/tmp' is on disk '/tmp' mounted at '/tmp'.
200 Disk set to /tmp.
/tmp
amrecover>
[root@sabik etc]# /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amrecover misc_backups
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.5p1. Contacting server on sabik.scarceskills.com ...
amrecover: cannot connect to sabik.scarceskills.com: Connection refused
--------------
[root@SSPC20 /]# /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amrecover misc_backups
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.5p1. Contacting server on SSPC20.scarceskills.com ...
amrecover: cannot connect to SSPC20.scarceskills.com: Success

.amandahost on server:
vega.scarceskills.com           amanda
vega.scarceskills.com           root
sspc020.scarceskills.com        root
sabik.scarceskills.com          root

.amandahost on sabik / sspc020:
vega.scarceskills.com   amanda

xinetd is enabled and running as a service while the configurations are:

on clients:
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = amanda
        group                   = backup
        server                  = /usr/local/amanda/libexec/amandad
}
on the server:
service amidxtape
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = amanda
        group                   = backup
        server                  = /usr/local/amanda/libexec/amidxtaped
        server_args             = amidxtaped
}
--------
service amandaidx
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = amanda
        group                   = backup
        server                  = /usr/local/amanda/libexec/amindexd
}
--------
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = amanda
        group                   = backup
        server                  = /usr/local/amanda/libexec/amandad
}

Reverse nslookups work out fine (for SABIK - not SSPC020) as do pings.

iptables on all machines in question are turned off.

Any ideas? I searched the yahoo (crap... oh so crap interface)
archives for the list for occurances of 'amrecover connection' ,
troubleshooting amrecover, etc. to no avail.

I'm wondering how AMANDA knows where the master host is?
Are the request from amrecover just broadcast out as udp and
eventually find their way home?

>From the output on one I get 'success' as the output, yet 'connection
refused for the other. All of the machines are on the same subnet and
the same configure options were used for both clients at compile time.

When looking at the debug files for both:
SABIK-
[root@sabik amanda]# more amrecover.20060316154300.debug
amrecover: debug 1 pid 24150 ruid 0 euid 0: start at Thu Mar 16 15:43:00 2006
amrecover: stream_client_privileged: connect to 192.168.0.93.10082
failed: Connection refused
amrecover: cannot connect to sabik.scarceskills.com: Connection refused
amrecover: pid 24150 finish time Thu Mar 16 15:43:00 2006

*connection refused here would lead me to believe that the port's not
listening :
[root@sabik amanda]# netstat -nlp --udp | grep 100
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:10080               0.0.0.0:*
                 22492/xinetd
:
But it is...
Why is it trying to connect to itself? Should the client hostname be
in $CLIENT/amanda/.amandahosts as well? Or is this a case of failing
to 'get out of the gate' as it were, and the request isn't getting
past my interface on it's way to the intranet?

SSPC020-
[root@SSPC20 amanda]# more amrecover.20060316155726.debug
amrecover: debug 1 pid 18471 ruid 0 euid 0: start at Thu Mar 16 15:57:26 2006
amrecover: stream_client_privileged:
gethostbyname(SSPC20.scarceskills.com) failed
amrecover: cannot connect to SSPC20.scarceskills.com: Success
amrecover: pid 18471 finish time Thu Mar 16 15:57:26 2006

:
[root@SSPC20 amanda]# netstat -nlp --udp | grep 100
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:10080               0.0.0.0:*
                 28257/xinetd
:
Get "hostbyname" here I think fails because I haven't added this host
to named on our DNS server. Correct assumption?
(*that's why I added SABIK into the mix in the first place actually)

Any ideas? (*even links to the correct bit of documentation!) would be
much obliged.

-Peter Farrell
Cardiff, Wales  - UK