Amanda-Users

Re: FreeBSD mt versus Linux mt

2006-03-13 04:17:55
Subject: Re: FreeBSD mt versus Linux mt
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:15:17 +0100
On 2006-03-12 17:59, stan wrote:
I had 2 Amanda instances, one hosted on FreebSD, and the other on and
Progeny Linux machine. I lost the root disk on the Linux server, and I'm
building a replacement machine.

Looking at the script that is run on the FreebSD machine I see that I do a
"nt comp off" to make certain that compression is off on the tape drive,
before I start the Amanda run.
I'm building the replacement machine on an Ubuntu Linux machine, and looking
at the man page for mt it does not seem to support this command.

What are people with Linux hosts using to accomplish making certain that the
tape drive is in uncompressed mode? I'm using an Ultrim 3 (HP) drive for
the replacement machine, as well as (for recovery purposes) the existing
Quantum DLT80 drive, if it matters. The DLT drive has front panel buttons
to control this, but the U3 drive does not BTW.

There are two versions of mt around:  GNU-mt and mt-st. You can
distinguish which one by running 'mt --version', returning something
like:

   mt-st v. 0.8
or
   GNU mt version 2.4.2.91

The mt-st version needs:
   mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 0

I do not use the GNU-mt command, and have only access to some old version, which does not know about compression settings.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *