Amanda-Users

Re: hardware gzip accelerator cards

2006-03-13 04:11:12
Subject: Re: hardware gzip accelerator cards
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Kai Zimmer <kai AT zimmer DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:04:45 +0100
On 2006-03-11 14:17, Kai Zimmer wrote:
Hi all,

has anybody on the list experience with hardware gzip accelerator cards (e.g. form indranetworks)? Are they of any use for amanda - or is the disk-i/o the limiting factor? And how much are those (generally pci-based) cards?

Never heard, and no experience with any such card.

But using gzip compression lets Amanda better predict the tape usage
(as opposed to tape hardware compression), which has several benefits:
better filling your tapes, less wasted space/time when having to
restart an image that bumped into end of tape.

Usually the "compress client fast" option in Amanda is preferred:
- spreading the CPU-load of gzip over many CPU's,
- better use of the bandwith
- "fast" is 2 to 4 times faster than "best" at only about 5-10% less
  compression

A gzip hardware accellerator can help:
- compress on the Amanda server and avoid load on the clients.
- a very large fileserver does not need a strong CPU, but can use
  such a card to help gzip during backup and lower bandwith use.
- you can use "compress best" too.

Test results appreciated!

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *