Amanda-Users

Re: Amflush Problem - Again!

2006-03-03 11:56:09
Subject: Re: Amflush Problem - Again!
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:52:14 -0500
On Friday 03 March 2006 09:01, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>I have no suggestion Rohit,  But a question for developers.
>
>> Amflush output:
>> -bash-2.05b$ /usr/sbin/amflush -f DailySet1
>> Scanning /backup/amanda_hold/DailySet1...
>>  20060216: found Amanda directory.
>>  20060223: found Amanda directory.
>>  20060302: found Amanda directory.
>>
>> Multiple Amanda directories, please pick one by letter:
>>  A. 20060216
>>  B. 20060223
>>  C. 20060302
>> Select directories to flush [A..C]: [ALL] B C
>>
>> Today is: 20060303
>> Flushing dumps in 20060223, 20060302 to tape drive "/dev/nst0".
>> Expecting tape TLS-Set-1-05 or a new tape.  (The last dumps were to
>> tape TLS-Set
>> -1-04)
>> Are you sure you want to do this [yN]? y
>> amflush: datestamp 20060303
>> driver: pid 15642 executable driver version 2.4.3
>> driver: send-cmd time 0.005 to taper: START-TAPER 20060303
>> driver: adding holding disk 0 dir /backup/amanda_hold/DailySet1 size
>> 2234040 reserving 2234040 out of 2234040 for degraded-mode dumps
>> taper: pid 15643 executable taper version 2.4.3
>> taper: page size is 4096
>> taper: buffer size is 32768
>> taper: buffer[00] at 0x400d5000
>> taper: buffer[01] at 0x400dd000
>> taper: buffer[02] at 0x400e5000
>> taper: buffer[03] at 0x400ed000
>> taper: buffer[04] at 0x400f5000
>> taper: buffer[05] at 0x400fd000
>> taper: buffer[06] at 0x40105000
>> taper: buffer[07] at 0x4010d000
>> taper: buffer[08] at 0x40115000
>> taper: buffer[09] at 0x4011d000
>> taper: buffer[10] at 0x40125000
>> taper: buffer[11] at 0x4012d000
>> taper: buffer[12] at 0x40135000
>> taper: buffer[13] at 0x4013d000
>> taper: buffer[14] at 0x40145000
>> taper: buffer[15] at 0x4014d000
>> taper: buffer[16] at 0x40155000
>> taper: buffer[17] at 0x4015d000
>> taper: buffer[18] at 0x40165000
>> taper: buffer[19] at 0x4016d000
>> taper: buffer structures at 0x40175000 for 240 bytes
>> taper: read label `TLS-Set-1-05' date `X'
>> taper: wrote label `TLS-Set-1-05' date `20060303'
>
>Why is so much detail being shown to the user of amflush?
>Do they really care about the taper buffers?
>Do they really care that the driver is starting taper?
>Aren't those messages more suitable for a silent log file
>or a debug file?
>
>BTW driver seems like it is doing unneeded things for
>an amflush, like setting a degraded mode, allocating
>holding disk, ...

I agree Jon, this is too much detail and not enough info at the same
time.  To the original poster Rohit:  Did you purchance clip it off
just about the place where it might have gotten interesting?  I feel
that what we want to know may be there, but we didn't get to see it.

message by Gene Heskett are: