Amanda-Users

question about external drives

2006-03-01 17:32:31
Subject: question about external drives
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:28:35 -0500
Some of you are undoubtedly using external hard drives
that are USB or FireWire connected.  Perhaps as your
holding disk or for virtual tapes.

These drives seem to come formatted with FAT-32 file
systems.  I wonder how people handle them.

Do you leave your external drives as FAT-32 or do you
reformat to something like ext2 or ext3?

What considerations went into your decision?

 features of one type FS vs another type?
 compatibility?
 security?
 sloth?

Thanks for the input.  My drives arrive tomorrow. :)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)