Amanda-Users

Re: Strange amverify behaviour with amanda 2.4.5

2006-02-27 17:47:23
Subject: Re: Strange amverify behaviour with amanda 2.4.5
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:37:45 -0500
On Monday 27 February 2006 13:36, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>On 27 Feb, in message <200602271122.55827.gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>,
> you
>
>wrote:
>> On Monday 27 February 2006 07:03, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>> > Having, apparently successfully, performed an amdump, consisting
>> > of several DLEs, I run amverify on the same tape.
>> >
>> > amverify finds the first DLE image, and reports that is is OK.
>> > However, it then continues to run, presumably to the end of tape,
>> > but without reporting any other images. It then hangs, with the
>> > tape drive indicating busy. I have to manually kill the amverify
>> > process to regain control over the tape drive.
>> >

>> > My setup has, in the past, worked fine, and in fact still does
>> > using an amdump/amverify configuration with different DLEs. I
>> > recently upgraded to kernel 2.6.12.
>>
>> The kernel shouldn't be a factor, currently running 2.6.16-rc5 here.
>> Yeah, I have spare blood. :)
>
>Well, that's the only thing that's changed recently, so I thought I'd
>mention it.
>
>> Could we see a disklist entry that works, and one that doesn't
>> please?

[snip posting of it]

And at this point, I am lost.  I'm not familiar with the syntax
you are using for the excludes specification, particularly the
"*" of that spec as you are using it.  No idea if thats something
new or what.  I've never used such here as I A: use "exclude filename"
named in the dumptype, and B: have since I learned about it,
used the "./name" formats in those files.

And it all Just Works(TM) here.

>From the amanda.conf included in the 2.4.5p1-20051218 snapshot:
-----------------------
#   exclude     - specify files and directories to be excluded from the dump.
#                 Useful with gnutar only; silently ignored by dump and samba.
#                 Valid values are:
#                 "pattern"       - a shell glob pattern defining which files
#                                   to exclude.
#                                   gnutar gets --exclude="pattern"
#                 list "filename" - a file (on the client!) containing patterns
#                                   re's (1 per line) defining which files to
#                                   exclude.
#                                   gnutar gets --exclude-from="filename"
#                 Note that the `full pathname' of a file within its
#                 filesystem starts with `./', because of the way amanda runs
#                 gnutar: `tar -C $mountpoint -cf - --lots-of-options .' (note
#                 the final dot!)  Thus, if you're backing up `/usr' with a
#                 diskfile entry like ``host /usr gnutar-root', but you don't
#                 want to backup /usr/tmp, your exclude list should contain
#                 the pattern `./tmp', as this is relative to the `/usr' above.
#                 Please refer to the man-page of gnutar for more information.
#                 If a relative pathname is specified as the exclude list,
#                 it is searched from within the directory that is
#                 going to be backed up.
#                 Default: include all files

There is no mention of using the "*" wildcard in any of the above.
I'm not saying it can't work, just that I've not used it, hence
no experience to reference.

message by Gene Heskett are: