Amanda-Users

Re: compile fail on Soalris 10 X86/AMD64

2006-02-22 19:24:11
Subject: Re: compile fail on Soalris 10 X86/AMD64
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:16:21 -0500
On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:17:42PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> I read the list, no need to send me a second copy.

Sorry, didn't do that on purpose.

> > Any idea how to overide this incorect behavior of cofnigure?
>
> I don't know what "what" is except an old SCCS command that is in
> /usr/ccs/bin.

Ah, I mean which.

> Do you mean "whereis" finds ar?  That is not definitive, whereis has some
> hardcoded places to look.  For example:

Well, it is in the path. If I type ar, at the shell prompt, I get a ussage
message.

>   $ whereis ar
>   ar: /usr/ccs/bin/ar /usr/include/ar.h
>   $ ar
>   usage: ar -d[-vV] archive file ...
>        ar -m[-abivV] [posname] archive file ...
>        ar -p[-vV][-s] archive [file ...]
>        ar -q[-cuvV] [-abi] [posname] [file ...]
>        ar -r[-cuvV] [-abi] [posname] [file ...]
>        ar -t[-vV][-s] archive [file ...]
>        ar -x[-vV][-sCT] archive [file ...]
>   $
>
> with the correct PATH whereis finds ar and the shell does also

Agreed.

> But if I change my PATH:
>
>   $ PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb
>   $ whereis ar
>   ar: /usr/ccs/bin/ar /usr/include/ar.h
>   $ ar
>   ksh: ar: not found [No such file or directory]
>   $
>
> whereis still finds ar, but the shell (and configure)
> does not.

OK, I learned something here.

> For a workaround, edit your makefiles (plural), change
> AR = false to AR = /usr/ccs/bin/ar.  Probably will work.
>
> Or clean up your source tree (make distclean) and redo
> the configure/build with the PATH set properly.

Tried that already. I can edit teh Makefiles by hand,
but it's probably worth finding the underlying problem here, as
it will undoubtably bite me on compiling other packages
that use autoconf, which is almost evrything these days,
thank goodness.

> If you still feel the PATH was set properly, but ar was
> not found for other reasons, set an environment variable,
> AR, to properly point to it.  This can be combined with
> the configure step by putting the assignment before the
> command:
>
>   AR=/usr/ccs/bin/ar  ./configure  <whateverelseyouneed>

Ah, I had forgoten that trick! It's been too long since I actually
_built_ packages. Lately I've either been using Free/Open BSD's
ports system, Debian prcompliled packages, or SunFreeware precompiled
bianries.

Thanks for the help!

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror