Amanda-Users

Re: gzip trailing garbage

2006-02-21 14:57:56
Subject: Re: gzip trailing garbage
From: Kevin Till <kevin.till AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:52:34 -0800
Greg Troxel wrote:
I'm using 2.4.5p1 on NetBSD with Kerberos encryption and
authentication.

I tried to verify some tapes and found that 'gzip -t' failed on the
restored files.  On investigation, after adding some better
diagnostics to gzip (NetBSD's own), I found that the problem was that
the last 32K block was padded with zeros.

Unflushed dumps in the holding directory have this problem for remote
dumps (krb encrypted), but not local ones.

On an older amanda install, not using krb4, I don't have this problem.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Hi Greg,

Yes, I have seen it with the new data encryption in Amanda 2.5. gzip will ignore the trailing zero and give out advisory about trailing garbage. While bzip2 does not ignore trailing zeros. I have yet found out what part of Amanda code is responsible for the trailing zeros though.

--
Thank you!
Kevin Till

Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com