Amanda-Users

Re: Microsoft & Oracle backups

2006-02-09 23:12:51
Subject: Re: Microsoft & Oracle backups
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Brett Marlowe" <brett.marlowe AT clickcommerce DOT com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 23:11:10 -0500
Brett,

Today, Amanda has extremely limited support for database and other application
backups. You can't use the API interface, but you can create scripts to dump
the database somewhere, and then back up that dumped file. Alternatively,
with some databases you can just backup the raw data files, and on restore it
will clean things up via the journal.

The good news is that support for these programs is coming: With the
forthcoming Application API, it will be very easy to create plugins to dump
any database, directory, appliance, etc., that you can shake a stick at.

Cheers,

--Ian

--
Zmanda: Open Source Data Protection and Archiving.
        http://www.zmanda.com