Amanda-Users

Re: A virtual tape question

2006-02-05 10:44:09
Subject: Re: A virtual tape question
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 16:40:01 +0100
stan schrieb:
I'm preparing to upgrade an existing Amanda installation.

It's been a while since I looked at what Amanda can do, since the existing
system "just works". I'm considering using virtual tapes, in some fashion
on the new system.

These leads me to a question (perhaps the first of several). Reading
through http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/File_driver It recommends putting
the virtual tape disk(s) on a different server than the holding disk(s). Am
I reading this correctly?

Where did you read that? Please show me the paragraph that makes you think that, maybe it should get rewritten.

AFAIK I recommended to use separate disks for vtapes and holdingdisk.
This is mainly due to performance issues and not necessary. AMANDA would also work well if vtapes AND holdingdisk share the same physical disk although the overall speed would decrease and you also loose some redundancy ...

To answer your question: You don't have to use two servers, no.

And as it happens often, in the meantime Paul has answered that one also :-)

Stefan