Amanda-Users

Re: datcompression Tandberg SLR7

2006-01-31 11:58:40
Subject: Re: datcompression Tandberg SLR7
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:48:32 -0500
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 03:22:34PM +0100, uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT nu
wrote:
> Dear Listers,
>
> I really hope that I'm not OT.
>
> While successfully using amanda on several machines I have a single
> server/tape drive, which refuses to switch of hardware compression.
>
> I read the threads several weeks ago in this list concerning compression but
> all my experiments failed (see below). Even some emails with Tandberg didn't
> show a solution (the support was really nice but no progress).
>
> I am using SuSE 9.1 with amanda-2.4.4p2-49.
>
> minerva:~ # dmesg | grep scsi
> scsi0 : Tekram DC395(U/UW/F), DC315(U) - ASIC TRM-S1040 v2.05, 2004/03/08
> Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
> Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0,  type 1
>

> This "Can't write mode page." below drives me crazy.
>

> minerva:~ # mt -f /dev/nst0 erase
> minerva:~ # mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
> minerva:~ # mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression
> Compression on.
> minerva:~ # mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
> minerva:~ # mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 0
> Can't write mode page.
> minerva:~ # mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression off
> Can't write mode page.
> minerva:~ # mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 1
> Compression on.
> minerva:~ # mt -f /dev/nst0 status
> drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
> drive status = 838861312
> sense key error = 0
> residue count = 0
> file number = 0
> block number = 0
> Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x32 (unknown).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (41010000):
>  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
>

> Is there anybody out there who encountered and solved this issue?

My DAT drive, an HP model, has a physical DIP switch setting
that can turn on/off the ability of the host computer to change
the compression settings.  I forget whether the docs talk about
the host's ability or whether it is listed as "under software
control", but it is the same thing.  This is a separate setting
from the similar one that controls what mode it powers up in.

For my HP, if it was mounted internally, access to the DIP switch
requires removal from the system.  HP's own external case has a
cute little tunnel on the bottom to give access.

Perhaps your Tandberg has a similar setting.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)