Amanda-Users

Re: Backup to a DLT drive but two servers to the backup hard drives.

2006-01-31 05:48:00
Subject: Re: Backup to a DLT drive but two servers to the backup hard drives.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:40:26 -0500
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:37:44AM +0000, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator
wrote:
> Sorry if my last post is confusing I have confused myself lately.
>
> Howto get Amanda to back up individual servers large directories as
> seperate Disk List Entries (DLEs) using tar (GNUTAR) to the backup
> servers hard drives but another server to DLT cartridge for off site
> storage.
>
> I will be purchasing a 80GB DLT drive and a dedicated backup server with
> two 80GB scsi hard drives.
>
> 1) I want to backup our main file server onto the 80GB DLT drive.
> 2) I want backup The 80gb web server and 80gb mail server to the two
> 80gb drives on the backup server not the 80gb DLT drive.
>
> 3) Would this be possible as I want a robust final solution that is
> affordable and maintainable for upgrades etc etc.

Wouldn't this simply be 2 (or 3) amanda configs:  One dumping the file
server to tape, the other(s) backing up the web and mail servers to
virtual tapes?

There are ways, not trivial if I recall correctly, to run multiple configs
at the same time.  But the simplest way would be to time your cron jobs
so that they do not overlap.  And the simplest way of all is to have your
cron job be a shell script that does the amdump's sequentially.

   #!/bin/sh

   /usr/local/sbin/amdump file-server-config
   /usr/local/sbin/amdump web-mail-server-config

jl

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)