Amanda-Users

Re: Handitarded....odd (partial) estimate timeout errors.

2006-01-04 19:49:46
Subject: Re: Handitarded....odd (partial) estimate timeout errors.
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:42:02 -0700

--On January 4, 2006 7:20:50 PM -0500 Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:

Asking questions about things I know nothing ...  :)

Are you using iptables?
If so, have you installed and configured the ??conntrack?? module?

Paul asked for the logs, it seems like there's an amanda bug. The units in question are attached to the same broadcast domain/VLAN and are in the same subnet, so are talking directly to eachother. It's not an obvious network or switch problem going on. I thought maybe an MTU limit of 1500 bytes but apparently amanda is set to fragment UDP packets up to 64k and so that should be fine, and other drives are making it. Anyway thanks anyway Jon :) I think we've hit some sort of bug or something in amandad, or planner (I think it sends the SERVICE sendsize packets) or both.

Network wise BTW the backup server is connected to a switch here in the office, which is trunked further to a switch upstairs, then to another switch in the blade chassis, then to the untrunked connection to the (amanda backup client) nfs server which is the one having issues. It seemed maybe some sort of odd packet size limit or some other 'max number of' limit in planner, since planner is sending duplicate requests sorta for the affected DLEs.

Anyway....I'm getting a headache thinking about it :) all my other DLEs seem ok for that host, and the ones that it misses are not always exactly the same, but all seem to be non-calcsize estimated.