Amanda-Users

FW: VXA-V23 taoe difficulties

2006-01-04 05:32:53
Subject: FW: VXA-V23 taoe difficulties
From: "Hommersom, Gerrit (G)" <GHOMMERSOM AT dow DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 04:13:25 -0600
I've followed with great interest the discussion on this topic as it
pertains to my backup system

The problems with premature end-of-tape failures persist with big DLE's.
(order 30-35 GB). The problem gets more severe from 1 failure per cycle to
daily failures currently. No dumps are left on the holding disk.

Closer inspection of the Exabyte FAQ learned that this may occur if the
datarate to the drive is too low. The drive waits for input while writing
'gap tracks' that uses physical space.

I re-examined the amanda logs and saw that for large DLE's the datarate for
the dumper and taper are the same and in the order of 3300 KB/s. VXA2 units
write at 6000 KB/s
The main raid-5 taperack is an external SCSI2 unit. The tape is external
SCSI2 too. The holding disk is 39 GB on an internal SCSI2 disk.

My questions:
will amanda use the holding disk for DLE's from on local disk to another
i.e. will DLE's from the external filsystem use the holding disk before
taping.
I accidentally defined a holdingdisk chunksize of 10 GB on a standard (32
bit) linux system. What would be the effect: direct write to tape ??
will the network bandwith parameters affect backup speed of local disks??
What factors may affect the datarate to the tape unit ??

Thanks
Gerrit Hommersom