Amanda-Users

SMB backups not recognised as SMB?

2005-12-29 12:26:56
Subject: SMB backups not recognised as SMB?
From: "John Swarbrick" <jswarbrick AT johnswarbrick DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:18:13 -0000

Hi all,

  I am getting “WARNING: 2kserver: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?” when I try to backup a Windows 2000 server using Samba and Amanda.

  I have 10 hosts in my disklist file which are all running Linux and the Amanda Client. These hosts all backup fine. I have now tried adding a Windows 2000 server to the disklist, using the Samba format; this is my disklist entry:

  2kserver    //2kserver/d$    comp-root-tar

  …and I have added the correct username and password to /etc/amandapass; I have checked these details with smbclient and I can successfully map the samba drive from the Amanda server using these details:

  //2kserver/d$    amanda    Amanda

  …but when I run `amcheck backup` I get:

  WARNING: 2kserver: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

  There is nothing in /tmp/amanda, and amanda definitely has write permission to this directory. I then tried installing the Win32 client on the Windows 2000 server, and now I get:

  “ERROR: NAK 2kserver: execute access to “/usr/amanda/libexec/selfcheck” denied

  I don’t want to run a client on each Windows server; I would much prefer to use samba and Amanda to ‘pull’ the files from the server. It looks like Amanda is ignoring the Samba format in disklist and trying to connect with the Amanda client regardless. There are no firewalls or other network issues here.

  Can anyone help me out – I’m starting to lose hair over this one!!

  Thanks!

John