Amanda-Users

Re: amanda performance

2005-12-16 15:47:01
Subject: Re: amanda performance
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:39:08 -0500
On Friday 16 December 2005 13:30, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 at 1:08pm, Gene Heskett wrote
>
>> That almost sounds like he would need a dedicated hardware raid to
>> use as a holdng disk then.  Ouch. And maybe futile unless that same
>> controller can also handle the tape & library, in which case the
>> devices could negotiate their own transfers between themselves, at
>
>I've got a 4 disk SATA RAID0 on a 3ware controller for the holding
> disk.

And what speeds are reported by "hdparm -tT /dev/md0"?

>> whatever the limiting speed of the cable might be.  This library is
>> I take it, a scsi3 wide interface? 320mb/sec rated?
>
>Yep.  In my case, the library is the only thing on the SCSI chain.

Which means the data has to piped thru the pci bus, so the maximum on a
non-pci-x buss is 133MB/sec.  And the average will be somethat less
than that when the handshaking is factored in.  But only 2.5MB/Sec
says there is a very small pinhole someplace its being forced through.

People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should use this
address: <gene.heskett AT verizononline DOT net> which bypasses vz's
message by Gene Heskett are: