Amanda-Users

amanda performance

2005-12-16 11:29:04
Subject: amanda performance
From: Roy Heimbach <royh AT hpc.unm DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:22:03 -0700 (MST)
We have amanda 2.4.5p1 server running under debian linux on a dual
opteron that's driving a new overland tape library with an ultrium3
drive.  For now, the holding disk is a dedicated local 120 GB drive.

There's an amanda 2.4.5p1 client also running under debian linux on
another dual opteron that's connected to the amanda server host via
a dedicated gig network.  This host is a moderately loaded fileserver
with hardware raid.

Backing up a 10 GB test partition, we're seeing dumper and taper
performance around 2.5 MB/sec, a fraction of what the hardware is
capable of.

The amanda server was configured with max tape blocksize set to
8192kb.  None of the other configure script options are unusual--
prefix, user, group, amandahosts, db=text, gnutar.  The dumptype
does not specify software commpression on either end.

Feels like we're overlooking something basic, but so far we're not
seeing what it is.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Roy Heimbach
--