Amanda-Users

Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option

2005-12-11 09:44:48
Subject: Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option
From: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:20:52 +0100
On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 09:12:49AM -0800, Kevin Till wrote:

> I have added a dumptype option, "encrypt".

Great! Thanks for your afford to bring encryption into amanda's core.

I have not taken a close look on it yet.  From the description, I have the
impression that this solution is based on symmetric encryption.  I don't
think this is a good idea.  Having the passphrase lying around on all
your clients[1] is a big weakness, IMHO.  It would be better to encrypt
with a public key.  The private key and the passprase should be locked
away to a safe place. They should be needed only for desaster-recovery.

[1] You need client-side encryption if you don't want your data flowing
unencrypted over the network.

--
No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com
-- Josef Wolf -- jw AT raven.inka DOT de --