Amanda-Users

Re: Verizon subscribers -- off topic

2005-12-06 11:25:52
Subject: Re: Verizon subscribers -- off topic
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>, Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 09:15:29 -0700

--On December 6, 2005 10:01:06 AM +0100 Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org> wrote:

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Paul Bijnens wrote:
[Off topic]

This isn't the first time I'm hit with this nonsense: I can't send mail
to a Verizon email address.  And I'm surely not alone.

  http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23703

Just to let people know (Gene!) that I do send mail to them, I'm not
ignoring them.  But their provider is ignoring their users.

Yes, I did fill out the whitelist request, twice already. Just enough
to get one mail pass through, and then a few weeks later, it bounces
again.

If people with Verizon email addresses want to read my responses, it's
time to switch providers.

Pfeew, that reliefs the anger a bit...

I can confirm I cannot send email to Gene from work, but I can from home.
Apparently it's unrelated to the sender address, but related to the
outgoing SMTP server.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Actually verizon can and does block based on a number of different criteria, just as AOL does, the difference is verizon is completely non-transparent as to what got you blocked, and who you can contact to get you unblocked. They also seem to have *no* control over their own automated systems whereas AOL atleast has some.