Amanda-Users

Re: please check your config and use a config file for chg-scsi

2005-12-02 15:40:28
Subject: Re: please check your config and use a config file for chg-scsi
From: "Richard Pyne" <rpyne AT kinfolk DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 11:13:01 -0700
On 1 Dec 2005 at 8:16, Richard Pyne wrote:

> On 1 Dec 2005 at 13:25, Alexander Jolk wrote:
>
> > Richard Pyne wrote:
> > > I am STILL trying to get amanda set up to run with an adic
> > > Scalar 458 changer with three DLT4000 drives.
> > [...]
> > > I decided to try to label a tape. After that failed
> > > miserably, I decided to take a step back and just try to get
> > > chg-scsi to work.
> >
> > Is there a reason you cannot use chg-zd-mtx?  If your changer
> > works with mtx, that might be simpler to set up.
> >
> > Alex
>
> No reason at all other than there is nothing in the
> documentation that would indicate that it is a better choice. The
> docs seem to indicate that the chg-scsi is a more direct
> interface, especially for the Linux 2.6 kernel that has changer
> support.
>
> I am still baffled that my earlier request for configuration
> suggestions only got one reply and that was to say "read the
> wiki" which provided no more insight than the other docs. Is no
> one out there using an adic Scalar tape library? It seems odd
> that if no one is using it that chg-scsi recognizes it
> specifically.
>
> I'll give chg-zd-mtx a try.

Well, I have chg-zd-mtx working. In the process, I remembered
why I had chosen chg-scsi originally. The main reason is that it
detectes when a drive is requesting to be cleaned and will
initiate a clean cycle when needed rather than by access count.

It is too bad that neither ch-zd-mtx nore chg-scsi support RAIT
as that is the way I would like to eventially go.

My desire is to set up automated backups that back up everything
that was changed on a daily basis and does a complete backup of
the production file systems at least once a week. I also want to
be able to do system file systems (/etc, /, /usr, etc.) on
demand.

Again, any configuration suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.

--Richard