Amanda-Users

Re: Question about changing Tape Drive

2005-09-30 11:36:25
Subject: Re: Question about changing Tape Drive
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:32:01 -0500
--On Friday, September 30, 2005 11:13:55 -0400 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT
verizon DOT net> wrote:

> On Friday 30 September 2005 02:54, Montagni, Giovanni wrote:
>> I have changed our tape drive, because it started to fail to write on
>> tape. I have changed it with the same model.
>>
>> After sostitution, amanda cannot recognise the tape, every day it give
>> me error like "Not an amanda tape", and i have to amrmtape then amlabel
>> the tape again.
>>
>> Is it possible to solve this problem?
>>
>> sorry for bad english.
>>
>> Giovanni
>
> The old drive may not have been doing a good job of rewriting the
> labels, which are rewritten with the new date contained therein for
> each use. As long as you don't have to do that to the same tape again
> till its worn out, you should be ok.
>
> Frankly, and I'm reading between the lines here, and coming to the
> conclusion that many of todays drive are being built by robots and
> the tracking adjustments that allow tape interchange between drives
> is being done poorly, or not at all.  I'd certainly let the vendor
> know that you are having a problem in that area.

And the bigger concern is that if you can't read the labels, you probably
can't read the data on the tape, either, so all of your old backups are
about as useful as a pile of blank tapes.
  You might want to keep the old drive around and give the heads a good
cleaning on the slim chance that you might be able to read one of your
old backups if you need to.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673