Amanda-Users

My Monthly archive config - issue

2005-09-29 12:17:11
Subject: My Monthly archive config - issue
From: Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator <chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:01:02 +0100
Hi again

Its that time for a monthly archive backup I have currently 80GB server
and using a DAT DDS-4 20GB native 40GB compression I am aware that I
cannot have both hardware compression and software compression on So
Amanda usually behaviour is to have hardware compression turned off
using the mt command.

Thus my amanda.conf is as follows

I want a full dump for archiving and this tape will pulled out.
dumpcycle 4 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 2          # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
                        # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week -- just
weekdays)
tapecycle 12 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation to pull each
monthly tape for archiving.

runtapes 1 # number of tapes to be used in a normal run.

Should I increase runtapes to 2 to ensure that I backup at a minimum
40GB.
Also should I amend dumpcycle to dumpcycle 0 weeks for a full dump and
not incremental.

Please advice of the best setup to backup for a monthly archive.

Cheers

--
Unix/ Linux Systems Administrator
Chuck Amadi