Amanda-Users

Re: runtapes=1 effect

2005-09-22 20:43:13
Subject: Re: runtapes=1 effect
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:27:39 -0400
On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:29:28PM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> I have a 5 tapes changer.
>
> I currently have runtapes=2 in my amanda config. Most of my backups
> only need a single tape. If I put runtapes=1 in my config, what
> happens if amanda needs more than 1 tape (if it gets to EOM on the
> tape) ?
>
> Will it take the next tape in the changer or continue in degraded mode
> and leave the dumps on the holding disk ?
>
> In other words, is runtapes only used by the planner ?

No, it is used by taper too.  For example, amflush also uses runtapes.

There are a couple of "it depends" in the answer.

If the DLE that ran out of tape was being sent directly to the drive
and not first to the holding disk, then I think it is aborted.

If taping from the holding disk, it just stays there.

Completed dumps are left in the holding disk for amflush, manual or
autoflush.

Other dumps will collect at their normal levels unless you run low
on holding disk space (below reserve %) then no level 0's will be done.

Note, same things would happen in your current setup if you ever
had a amdump requiring 3 tapes.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)