Amanda-Users

Re: libintl

2005-09-21 13:47:38
Subject: Re: libintl
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:39:46 -0400
On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 06:21:32PM +0100, Tony van der Hoff enlightened us:
> I recently updated my linux distro from Mandrake 10.1 to 10.2. Rather
> foolishly, I decided to upgrade Amanda from 2.4.4 to 2.4.5 at the same time.
> [I know - only change one thing at a time :( ]
>
> Anyway, the result was that Amanda would no longer work, with the dreaded
> "selfcheck request timed out". Finally, after much pulling out of hair, I
> tracked down the cause to amandad not starting, because of a dependancy on
> libintl.so.2, while the new distro only provides libintl.so.3. As a quick
> fix, I symlinked .2 to .3, and got Amanda working.
>
> Question: why this dependance on a rather ancient (2003) library? Will it
> hurt to stick with the symlink, or should I obtain a .2 library?

How did you install amanda? If it was a pre-built RPM, then chances are that
the build machine had libintl.so.2 on it. This is a good argument for
building your own amanda either from source or via SRPMs.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics