Amanda-Users

Re: Howto utilise DDS-4 20/40GB tape with Amanda

2005-09-09 06:19:04
Subject: Re: Howto utilise DDS-4 20/40GB tape with Amanda
From: Rodrigo Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:07:16 +0100
Hum, I'm a bit confused here... I read somewhere that it was not
trivial to disable hardware compression. I have an autoloader with a
DAT 72 drive, connected to a linux server. The command mt
datcompression 0 Compression off does not seem to work.

I read that the hardware compression flag was written on the tape, and
to disable it I had to "clear" that bit in all tapes. Is this true?
How can I do that?

I also read that there was non-documentated dip switch settings on the
drive that could disable hardware compression. I have a HP DAT
72x6. The manuals just states the correct dip switch settings for each
operating system. Any way I could get the info on what exactly each
dip switch does?

Cheers,

Rodrigo

--

*** Rodrigo Martins de Matos Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
***  Web page: http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~yoda