Amanda-Users

Backing up from LVM targets

2005-09-07 17:41:28
Subject: Backing up from LVM targets
From: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:23:11 -0500

I've got my first LVM-based system to be backed up and I'm running into permission problems. The client system is Fedora Core 4. I've installed amanda there by 'yum install'ing the amanda and amanda-client packages. I've enabled amanda in xinetd and reloaded xinetd. I want to back up just one directory (so using tar) so I add that to my disklist. The amanda xinetd setup on the client is set to use the 'disk' group. Here's my debugging so far...

On the server....

---------------------------
$ amcheck -c CIS client

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: client.cis.uab.edu: [could not access /var/lib/pgsql/backups (/var/lib/pgsql/backups): Permission denied]
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.021 seconds, 1 problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p2)
$
----------------------------

On the client.....

# cat /etc/xinetd.d/amanda
# default: off
#               This must be on for systems being backed up\
#               by Amanda.

service amanda
{
       socket_type             = dgram
       protocol                = udp
       wait                    = yes
       user                    = amanda
       group                   = disk
       server                  = /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
       disable                 = no
}

# id amanda
uid=33(amanda) gid=6(disk) groups=6(disk)

# df -kh
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      31G  3.5G   26G  12% /
[snip]

# ls -l /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
brw-rw----  1 root disk 253, 0 Aug 21 11:03 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
#

So amanda is in the disk group, which is the same group as the logical device which is the partition that holds the backup target. Everything seems in order there. What else could be causing the permission problem? Wondering if this might be related to LVM.

Thanks,
Fran

--
Fran Fabrizio