Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring without Amanda

2005-09-07 16:02:38
Subject: Re: Restoring without Amanda
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: tony AT vanderhoff DOT org, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:52:57 -0600

--On September 7, 2005 8:36:20 PM +0100 Tony van der Hoff <lists AT nospam.vanderhoff DOT org> wrote:

yes, personally, I had no problem with the hyphen, but ...

I posted last week that my confusion had arisen out of the "skip=1",
having located the required archive. The need to rewind and skip 2 files
in this case could have been avoided at step 1 above. Now *that* would
make a difference.

dd operates at the block level, thus a skip of one skips one block, not file.

it is a little confusing at first but AMANDA assumes (maybe incorrectly these days) familiarity with dd.