Amanda-Users

Re: Question about "data timeout".

2005-08-23 11:37:47
Subject: Re: Question about "data timeout".
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:24:20 -0400
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 05:04:02PM +0200, Erik P. Olsen enlightened us:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 11:19:59AM +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> > > I have recently added a set of disks (file systems) to my back-up set
> > > and that ended up with a failure due to "data timeout". I didn't even
> > > know there was a dtimeout value to be specified in amanda.conf. I have
> > > learnt that it is an idle time measured against the disks in question.
> > >
> > > My question is now, how is this idle time measured and where is it
> > > reported?
> > >
> > > Only by knowing what amanda sees of the idle time am I able to specify a
> > > reasonable dtimeout value.
> >
> > I may be totally wrong here, but I don't think it is tracking "idle" time.
> > I believe it is total time to dump.  This would take care of "stuck" or
> > "runaway" dump scenarios.
>
> The documentation says: dtimeout int Default: 1800 seconds. Amount of
> idle time per disk on a given client that a dumper running from within
> amdump will wait before it fails with a data timeout error.

Yes, and that "per disk" is important. If you have a machine with 3 Disklist
Entries (DLEs), it will wait 5400 seconds (90 minutes) for that machine.
Another machine with 1 DLE will only get 30 minutes to complete.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics