Amanda-Users

Re: Has anyone a script for Monthly/Daily backups

2005-08-17 15:49:59
Subject: Re: Has anyone a script for Monthly/Daily backups
From: "chuck.amadi" <chuck.amadi AT ntlworld DOT com>
To: amadi.chuck AT gmail DOT com, amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:33:15 +0100
He is my previous Boss hack if you look at the third script would it be a simple process to just add amanda amcheck and amdump after the first two scripts have confirmed the true date being a daily or monthly backup.
Or would you suggest to keep it simple use paul bijnens script .

Please note I would prefer to still run amcheck prior to amdump

Thanks all. I am looking at ideas prior to startig my hack in work 2 mory.

------ ----------   First part of script    -----------------------------

#!/bin/sh
# script name dobackup.sh
# takes 1 arugument - monthly or daily

# script to run backup program
/path/to/program/backup.sh $1 2>&1 | /usr/bin/tee /path/to/backup-org/ '/bin/date +"%Y-%m-%d"'

-------------------------- End of Script ------------------------------------------

----------------------------- Second part of script ---------------------------------

#!/bin/sh
# scirpt name today_is_last_friday.sh
# Run this shell on a friday to check if it is the last friday in the month.
# used for backup system to run monthly backup on last friday in the month, daily otherwise.

DATEPROG=/bin/date
# exits with true (0) if it is the last friday, otherwise with 1

# Get the month for this friday
thisfri='$DATEPROG --date="this friday" "+%B" '

# Get the month for next friday
nextfri='$DATEPROG --date="next friday" "+%B" '

# now compare them  - if different, today is the last friday in the month

if [ "$thisfri" !=  "$nextfri"  ]
then
# echo "Today is the last friday of the month ! "
exit 0
else
# echo "Today is NOT the last friday of the month ! "
exit 1
fi

------------------------------End of script----------------------------------------

------------------------------- Last script ----------------------------------------

#!/bin/sh

# shell script to run on fridays to check if it's the last friday in the month
# if so, do a complete monthly backup, otherwise do a usually daily backup.

cd /path/to/program

if ./today_is_last_friday.sh
then
# Thus could I run su - c "/usr/sbin/amcheck MonthlySet1";su - c "/usr/sbin/amdump MonthlySet1";
            echo " Starting MonthlySet1 Backup"
            /path/to/prgram/backup.sh monthly

else
# Thus could I run su - c "/usr/sbin/amcheck DailySet1";su - c "/usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1";
            echo " Starting DailySet1 Backup"